Saturday, October 9, 2010

Personality=Identity=Personality

Okay then, my identity is with Christ, or is that in Christ or.. exactly, how does that work?

Good question!

I truly believe that it is all the above and more.

Identity is complicated. There are many facets and layers to all of us. If you were to ask a handful of your friends to use one word to describe you, you would get a handful of different answers.

But isn't that our personality you are talking about? Well, kinda, but your personality is just an expression of who you really are in your being. And your being is who you ARE, hence your identity is expressed through your personality. (Note: I am not an expert, these are just my thoughts!)

And, if you are a follower of Christ, it is HE that lives in us and we are to become like HIM.

Complicated, I know, but just hang in there...

When Christ is allowed in, He brings the Holy Spirit to take up permanent residence within us. The Holy Spirit has gifts and fruits to offer. We don't all get the same gifts (1 Corinthians 12), however we all are able to receive the same fruit.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

These fruits don't just all appear at once; they grow and mature just as we do in our faith.

As the gifts mature, we change. Our identity is becoming more and more like Christ.

This identity will survive all this world can throw at us. Such as going from a stay-at-home mom of toddlers to teenagers to an empty nest. Or, single to married to single again. Or, lucrative career to unemployed. All of these can SEEM to change who we are, but they are just circumstances, what might define a moment in our lives..not who we are!

The world views these things as identity markers...and more times than not we do too. And we lose sight of who we are, of who we are meant to be.

There has been many times when I so wanted someone to come along side me and just tell me who I am, what I am to be doing...I have felt so lost at times!!

One day I was finally still long enough to hear GOD say be and do love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

That is a big undertaking...so with GOD's help, I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a word of encouragement...I truly consider it a blessing that you have spent the time reading my scribbles in the sand.